Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Niagara Falls then and now: streetcars at the old Queenston docks

Below: Looking northward along the Niagara River, from the Canadian side, at the village of Queenston, in Niagara-on-the-Lake, taken May 26, 2008 by R. Bobak. The United States is seen at the right (east) side of the river. It was on this site years ago where ferry boats from points on Lake Ontario docked, bringing tourists on their way to visit Niagara Falls. The passengers were picked up by streetcars which circled through the village of Queenston, then travelled back up the escarpment at Queenston Heights and continued on to the Falls. Below: the same approximate view of the Queenston docks, July 13, 1919. (Niagara Falls Library Archives)
Below: same view, June 1937. (NFLA)
Below: The Duke & Duchess of Cornwall and York (the future King George V and Queen Mary), disembark the steamer Corona at Queenston, and board a streetcar on their visit to Niagara Falls. (from a Thomas Edison film, NFLA date unclear) Historical records show that they visited Canada in 1901.
Below: ca. 1904, SS Chippawa at the Queenston dock (NFLA). Note the white picket fence and the round-top sign (in photo below) just behind where the streetcars are lined up - the same fence and round sign can be seen (in the photo above) where the Royals are boarding the streetcar.
Below: Sept. 10, 1932 (NFLA)
below: a Niagara Falls-bound Michigan Central steam locomotive with passenger cars is seen on King St. at Queen St. in Niagara-On-The-Lake, date unknown. below: A.J. Coyne's drugstore, ca.1919, on Queen St. at King St. Note streetcars running in downtown Niagara On The Lake. (NFLA)

Above: same view, May 26, 2008

No comments: