below: as seen Jun.28, 2010 - the demolition along Colborne St. has reached #61-63 Colborne St., the building seen half-demolished at the right. (earlier view here)
This building was built by grain merchant John F. Simmons in 1901. In 1906, the Brantford Willow Works moved into #63, then in 1909 expanded next door into #61, remaining in business here until closing in 1956. They produced and exported finely crafted wicker and rattan furniture, still collectible today; interestingly, the firm at one time had 35 acres of willow trees outside of the city from which they sourced some of their raw material.
Next to the left, at #65-69 Colborne St., is the Esquire Theatre, built 1937, now seen with its deco stone-Thunderbird marquee removed from the center top of the building - see earlier view here. Wonder where that stone Thunderbird is now??