Saturday, January 31, 2009

Niagara Falls Then and Now: When cattle grazed at the edge of Niagara Falls

below: one of my favorite photos from the Niagara Falls Library Archives is this 1867 picture of cows grazing by the edge of the Niagara River gorge right by the Horseshoe Falls.
above: On a freezing, dreary Jan.7, 2009, it`s hard to imagine that cattle once grazed along here...
*
below: one of my favourite old buildings, the 1883 Federal Customs and Post Office building, on the north-east corner of Zimmerman Ave. and Park St., as seen in 1919, proudly decorated for HRH Prince of Wales. Marlilyn Monroe was filmed entering through the front door of this building during a scene of the 1953 film noir Niagara.

above: This stone structure has sadly sat vacant for decades. It is seen here, under an azure sky, on a bitterly cold late afternoon of Jan.4, 2009, with the setting sun highlighting its boarded-up windows and tattered roof. With all the `stimulus`spending being bandied about recently by every government level you can think of, why is it that a grand building such as this, which has sat in abandoned squalor for decades, isn`t being restored? That this gem has been forgotten and allowed to waste away for so long is one of the shames of Niagara.
*
below: May 25, 1948 - a sad day in Niagara Falls as the city`s streetcar tracks are torn up, heralding the new age of the diesel bus. This view looks north-west along Victoria Ave., with an arched door of St. Patrick`s church visible at the far left, and the front of St. Patrick`s school next door beside it, on the south-west corner of Victoria Ave. and Maple St. The west end of Queen St. is at the far right where the two men are seen standing. It can be seen that streetcar tracks turned from Victoria Ave. east onto Queen St.

above: same view, Jun.3, 2008. The old St Patrick`s school has since been torn down and a new one was built slightly further to the rear. Why not bring the streetcar back to Niagara Falls?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The domino effect of McGuinty's Liberal health-care duplicity

Paul Forsyth wrote in "Hospitals struggle with ALC patients" (Niagara This Week, Jan.28, 2009):

"A new report adds weight to the argument by the Niagara Health System that people who have no business being in a hospital are clogging up chronic care beds, leading to a domino effect that leads to lengthy delays in getting treated at hospital emergency rooms.

A Canadian Institute for Health Information report released Jan. 15 backs up long-standing concerns by the Ontario Hospital Association (OHA) about the serious impact of what’s known as alternate level of care (ALC) patients.

Those are patients such as people who have had strokes, the frail elderly, people with mental disorders, and people with respiratory and circulatory problems.

Hospital officials say those people end up turning to hospitals because of a chronic shortage of long-term care beds in the community or inadequate home care services.

“Without question, the single biggest challenge facing Ontario hospitals is the number of ALC patients waiting in hospitals for alternate levels of care,” said Tom Closson, president of the hospital association.

The report showed that Ontario tied with Newfoundland for the highest rate of ALC patients in hospitals, with seven per cent of hospitalizations comprised of people in that group.

Nation-wide, excluding Manitoba and Quebec, ALC patients accounted for five per cent of hospitalizations and 14 per cent of hospital days in 2007-2008, the report found.

Niagara is particularly hard hit by ALC patients, said Sue Matthews, vice-president of patient services and chief nursing executive for the Niagara Health System. On average, 35 per cent of NHS beds are taken up by ALC patients, the highest in Ontario and twice the provincial average, she said.

That creates a domino effect of lengthy delays at hospital emergency rooms because people lying on stretchers are forced to wait for beds to become available.

It also has the impact of forcing Niagara Emergency Medical Services (EMS) paramedics to queue up at emergency departments, waiting to offload patients in their care. EMS staff reported recently that it’s not uncommon for only a handful of the fleet of 22 Niagara ambulances mobilized at peak periods to be available to respond to medical emergencies because of those delays.

In a statement responding to the new report, the OHA said it continues to call for “major investments” in health services out of hospitals, and for interim solutions to help hospitals bridge the capacity gap until the longer-term investments begin to chip away at the ALC patient dilemma.

Matthews said the NHS isn’t sitting on its hands awaiting those investments: the system has taken a number of steps to reduce the impact of ALC patients, such as changes to the St. Catharines General hospital emergency department — the busiest in Niagara — including a new clinical systems investigations unit. That unit uses special, dedicated stretchers to ensure the most serious cases get prompt treatment and wait for results of tests in a dedicated waiting room, freeing up stretchers in the emergency room."
*

Once again, not a word in this news report from, or about, the local Liberal health-care monopolist, MPP Jim Bradley, and his government's failed, duplicitous role in dealing with this on-going problem. 'Flicking' unbelievable.

Once again, this situation is not new, and it's not anecdotal, the way Liberals would like us to believe. (see: Niagara health-care 'top news story of 2008' - yet no mention of Liberal Jim Bradley: see: Time to debunk Liberal health-care myths)

Dalton McGuinty himself several years ago dismissed recommendations to add extra beds to Niagara's ER's, and to deal with the concurrent ALC shortage. I guess having an average of 35% of Niagara's hospital beds occupied by ALC-level patients - twice the Ontario provincial average - isn't enough to get ideolgically-retarded bait-and-switch-health-care-monopolists such as Liberal Premier Dalton McGuinty, or his willing co-conspirators, such as Health Minister David Caplan, or Jim Bradley, to get off their negligent asses and deal with their health-monopoly's systemic problems, which for five years they have ignored and exacerbated.

These Liberal politicians should be charged for their health-care crimes.

It's an ironic laugh that the NHS is lecturing us (in "Niagara health officials peeved by protest in Fort Erie", St. Catharines Standard, Jan.28, 2009) that they "cannot, and will not, condone any breach of the law... and will not tolerate any danger to public safety" when it comes to protests against their Liberal-approved bait-and-switch health-care policies. (this was in regards to the protesters in Fort Erie who last week craned and chained a large lock up over the large 'H' sign on the wall of Douglas Memorial Hospital, where the Liberals, through their appointed LHIN lackeys, are closing the emergency dept., shutting down operating rooms, and cutting inpatient beds). Caroline Bourque-Wiley, former St.Catharines Standard reporter and now NHS spokesperson, confirmed the Niagara Hospital System's press release which mentioned that the police are investigating these "acts of vandalism and trespass" and that the NHS was concerned with "liability and insurance issues while people are on our properties" - yeah, I guess they should be - if a protestor did get hurt, at least for now there is still an emergency room in Fort Erie!! But when the Liberal 's bait-and-switch health-care system closes the ER, it's off to St. Catharines or Buffalo for patients - which is the point of the protest. Ironic.

Yet, why isn't any police organization investigating the Dalton McGuinty government's Liberal Healthcare Duplicity and its failing, dangerously ineffective, heavy-handed, ideologically-driven health-monopoly? What "liability" do these Liberal health-care vandals assume? What accountability do they have? Why, they're held harmless from negligence for the blowback of their health monopoly's actions!!

Liberal hypocrites have lied about and underfunded their monopolistic health-care obligations for years, while concurrently preventing patients from being able to pay for their own care. McGuinty's Liberals are the 'danger to public safety'.

Secretive Liberals won't even allow Ontario's Ombudsman access to independently investigate and scrutinize their health-monopoly's claims, purposefully making it difficult to quantify or clearly assess the efficacy of Liberal political rhetoric, or the claimed effectiveness of Liberal policies, as they are translated into practice at the patient level. We're just supposed to believe McGuinty and his clique when they whistle Don't worry, be happy to us, mesmerizing us with their 'just trust us' Liberal bullshit.

But we will unfathomably tolerate these political bags of crap because they're Liberals. And shamefully, the don't ask/don't tell lefty-besotted local press, once again, kisses Jim Bradley's ass without question, allowing him and his Liberals to figuratively get away with murder.
*

Springtime for the Globe and Mail

above: letter to the editor, Globe and Mail, Jan.26, 2009
*
Was Neil Redding being facetious when he wrote in his Jan.26, 2009 letter to the Globe and Mail editor ("In and out of context"): "I hope that, in future, The Globe will identify all individuals who are Jewish, so we can read their comments in the proper context”?

I applaud Redding for finally making clear that the solution to weeding out those troublesome individuals with ulterior motives is to identify them as Jews. Naturally, it goes without saying that the Globe’s new standard should target only suspected Jews, and of course, no one else.

Why, not only should the Globe and Mail demand that all contributors and reporters provide documentation of nationality and religion, but also proof of their sexual orientation, a list of their favourite songs and of the books they have read, and whether they prefer to shop at Loblaws or Price Chopper.

After contextualizing all this information and diligently performing virus-scans on the opinions of suspected Jewish writers, the Globe and Mail can then appropriately warn its unsuspecting readers of any unsettling and improper Jewish content.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Niagara Falls Then and Now: The Quality Inn demolished

The last of a series of motel buildings which comprised the Clifton Hill Quality Inn was demolished on Jan.23, 2009.
The now-demolished buildings, marked with yellow dots, are seen in this several-years-old google earth image: (click on photos to enlarge!)
above: the red area is where the 1856 Zimmerman-Bush Estate stables were, and still are today, renovated as offices and encompassed within a larger hotel structure.
The blue arrow shows where the former Michigan Central railroad ran.
The green-marked building was a restaurant, demolished several years ago; this is where the Sky Wheel now stands. The area where Clifton Pl. is shown as a road in the image above has now been converted to a plaza and entrance for the Sky Wheel; that road has now been shifted a little to the west to where the orange arrow is seen.
At the far bottom right (pink arrow) can be seen the location of the tracks and the passenger cars of the old Clifton Hill Incline Railroad.
*
below: looking uphill, from Victoria Park, at the last remaining Quality Inn structure, as seen on Jan.9, 2009. It was on the brow of this hill that the Bush Estate once stood, overlooking the Falls.
below: same view, Jan.19, 2009, building half-demolished. Note the Sky Wheel can now be much more clearly seen from the park.
below: same view, Jan.22, 2009, only a small portion remains at the north end.
below: looking at the Quality Inn building from the north-east, as seen on Jan.12, 2009.
below: same view, Jan.22, 2009

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Time to debunk Liberal health-care myths

The St. Catharines Standard ran a three-part health-care series "Code Gridlock" about Niagara’s health system, written by Peter Downs: Jan.10, 2009, “The current state of Emergency”; Jan.12, 2009, “Frustration in the ER”; Jan.13, 2009, “Solving the patient logjam”.

Not once in this three-part series was local Liberal MPP Jim Bradley mentioned. No comments, no quotes, nothing.

'Flicking' unbelievable.

Good Ole Jimbo Bradley, the Liberal politician in Niagara most responsible for the health-care mess, once again, gets another free ride.

There was nothing new in this latest Standard series – it was frustrating to read this rehash of the same old Liberal crap, and the same old phony Liberal “solutions” being trotted out, not to mention oh how much money the Liberals graciously spent on our behalf, bless them...oh, c'mon!!

Compare the information supplied in this latest series to, for example, this article in the St. Catharines Standard from Sept.19, 2007, headed “The symptoms say health care is ailing”:

“The projection of a significant deficit for the Niagara Health System is a nice illustration to accompany a damning report on health-care spending in the belt around Toronto.

On Monday evening, NHS officials revealed the hospital operation expects to run a $13 million deficit this fiscal year, due largely to a shortage of nurses and a dire lack of hospital bed space.

Tuesday, a report commissioned by agencies in the rapidly growing communities surrounding Toronto found social and health-care services in the so-called 905 are insufficient to deal with the population and demographics of the area.

Niagara may not have the rapid growth of a Halton or Peel region, but it does have unique demographics that stress health-care services.

According to the latest census, Niagara has more seniors than any other community in the 905, with nearly 18 per cent of local residents over 65, and 7.5 per cent older than 75.

The report by PricewaterhouseCoopers specifically states "community characteristics" should be taken into account along with population growth.

This means the provincial government hasn't been properly taking into account new population growth or the fact that an older population will put more demand on health and social services when it funds hospitals in the 905 areas.

The gap in what the 905 needs in health-care spending and what it receives is estimated at nearly $1 billion.

The projected NHS deficit is a perfect example, and highlights where the provincial government has been falling short in its health-care strategy.

The reasons for the deficit projection reveal how complex health-care services are, and how different facets of health care are intricately related - specifically, the space crunch for hospital beds.

It's estimated that 39 per cent of the beds at NHS hospitals are occupied by patients awaiting space in a long-term care home.

That has a ripple effect across the system, driving up costs to care for these patients while putting added pressure on emergency rooms and increasing waiting lists.

The nursing shortage is a provincewide problem that could reach crisis levels soon.

In Niagara, it has meant 76,699 hours of overtime, already exceeding the annual target by 13,000 hours.

Put together, the report and the deficit don't paint a pretty picture of our vaunted public health-care system and do a lot to debunk government claims that the system is improving.

A shortage of beds in nursing homes creating a backlog in understaffed hospitals and driving up costs and wait times is not a symptom of a healthy, efficient system.”

*

The same problems and the same ‘solutions’ were identified a long time ago; yet a provincial election came and went where everyone conveniently pretended that there was nothing wrong with Liberal-controlled health care.

You would expect the local press would be able to bring this dichotomy to the local MPP’s attention. You’d hope that the local press would debunk the myths of how Liberals have ‘improved’ their health monopoly.

This 'bed-shortage-causing-backups' story isn’t new, for cryin’ out loud!

What’s astounding is the utter lack of credibility that this hypocritical Ontario Liberal government has shown, and the easy ride that Liberal mouth-bags like health-care monopolist Jim Bradley get from the press. No questions – no problem!! Blame Harris!!

Back on Sept.30, 2006, the St. Catharines Standard reported Liberal leader Dalton McGuinty himself saying that more beds were not in the cards!! Yet Good Ole Jimbo Bradley is immune from accountability, explanation, or responsibility. In opposition, an indignant Jimmy spouted off about health care practically on a daily basis. Now, when it’s time for Jimmy to explain five years of his Liberal health-care monopoly failings…well, Good Ole Jimmy’s done been gone into that thar ole Cone of Silence!!

The Standard’s Jan.13, 2009 story “Solving the patient logjam” proffered this solution in its headline: “The key is freeing up hospital beds occupied by people waiting for long-term care”. (Hmm...really?! You don’t say!!)

But there is another fundamental key: getting rid of monopolistic Liberal health-care parasites like Dalton McGuinty, David Caplan, and Jim Bradley.
*

Monday, January 12, 2009

Niagara Falls Then and Now: the Clifton Place mansion on the Zimmerman/Bush Estate

(click on photos to enlarge!) above: Jan.12, 2009 - looking east down along an almost tourist-free Clifton Hill. Samuel Zimmerman's estate was on the right (south) side of the street, encompassing the area from the Niagara River all the way up to the railroad tracks (at the time, the Erie and Ontario Railroad, of which he was a majority owner; eventually becoming the Michigan Central) which ran along the east side of Victoria Ave.
above: Jan.12, 2009 - looking west up a quiet Clifton Hill. The Zimmerman - later Bush - Estate was on the left (south) side of the street. The railroad tracks crossed Clifton Hill at Victoria Ave., which was located slightly west of the tall mansard-roofed tower seen at the far right; this is where the old Victoria Park railroad station had once stood - it was a convenient, easy stroll from the Bush Estate to the railroad station! The railroad tracks were still there and in operation until about 1999.
above: Jan.7, 2009 - looking north-east from the rear of the grounds towards Clifton Hill in the background, where, in the now-vacant foreground, a series of motel structures had been built on the manicured grounds of the former Bush Estate. Another wing of the 1950's-era Fallsway (later Quality) Inn is seen being demolished at the rear right - it was on this location where the Clifton Place mansion used to stand. Construction on the mansion's footings was started by Samuel Zimmerman, who suddenly died in an accident in 1857.
The Zimmerman estate (consisting of some 30 acres including ownership of the first Clifton House Hotel) was bought on Jan.1, 1865 by New York State Senator John T. Bush, who constructed the mansion designed by architect John Latshaw. The mansion remained in the Bush family for the next 64 years, until it was sold to Harry Oakes' Welland Securities in 1928.
In 1867 John T. Bush became one of the original incorporators and President of the company that built the new upper Suspension Bridge, which conveniently landed on the Canadian side right beside Bush's Clifton House hotel!
(This new 1867 suspension bridge was the first of 3 bridges which would be consecutively built at this same site beside the Clifton House. It should not be confused with the existing Railway Suspension Bridge, which had already been standing at River Rd. and Bridge St. for nearly 20 years.
Interestingly, the planned construction of this bridge by Bush's company took advantage of the fact that the Railway Suspension Bridge was at that time - in 1867 - enjoying a monopoly as the only physical crossing across the lower Niagara River; so this new bridge would become the second available bridge crossing. The status of Bush's new bridge as being the 'second available' crossing in 1867, comes about because another earlier bridge (Serrell's 1851-built Queenston-Lewiston Suspension Bridge, which had originally been the actual second suspension bridge to be built across the Niagara River) had been destroyed due to a storm in 1864, and had not been rebuilt.
Bush's bridge essentially took on the competitive role left by the former Queenston-Lewiston Suspension Bridge, as a challenger to the Railway Suspension Bridge's monopoly. Seeing as this new bridge was also much closer to the actual Falls than the others, the business case for this new span was solid. Designed by Samuel Keefer, this bridge (also known as the First Fallsview bridge) was opened in Jan.1869. Twenty years later, on Jan.9, 1889, it was destroyed in a storm, and crashed into the river. Senator Bush did not live to see the collapse of his bridge - he had died just two months earlier, on Nov.10 1888.
So, for almost twenty halcyon Niagara years, Senator John T. Bush could look out the front window from his Clifton Place mansion on the hill, and keep an eye not only on his Clifton House Hotel down below, but also on his bridge spanning the Niagara River, right beside it!
above: This newly-revealed view in the distance, taken Jan.9, 2009, has not been seen for some sixty years: this is looking east across the Niagara River gorge at the upper Niagara River (seen at the upper right) as it heads towards the American Falls. This view had been blocked since the 1950's after a series of low-rise motel structures were constructed along the brow of the hill overlooking Victoria Park. A motel wing (which had stood where the backhoe is) was torn down on Jan.9, 2009, bringing this lost vista back into view once again. This is the same vista which had once been seen from the front windows of Clifton Place, the Bush Estate mansion, which stood here until it was demolished in June of 1937.

above: looking west uphill from Victoria Park as demolition continues on the Quality Inn motel buildings. This is where the Bush Estate mansion once stood on the crest of the hill. To the right (north) just out of frame is Clifton Hill. Above two photos of demolition were taken only eight minutes apart, on Jan.8, 2009, by R. Bobak. Note Sky Wheel peeking from behind the trees at the upper right of photo, above the motel building (at the right) to be demolished next.
above: Jan.12, 2009 - standing a little farther to the north from the above shot, looking south-west - the old motel site under demolition is seen at the far upper left (south); Victoria Park is at the bottom left, and Clifton Hill is seen in the foreground. The former Bush Estate (now-HOCO) lands are seen at the top of the above photo, stretching from right to left all along the top of the hill.
*
below: Jan.12, 2009 - a closer view of the right-side of the above shot; at the corner where the ice cream cone sign is - this is the east boundary of today's HOCO lands. At the corner of the building, in the centre foreground, can be seen the large stone end-post of the Victoria Park fence which runs along the south-side of Clifton Hill.
below: looking at the same boundary, as it was in 1937. The large stone end-post of the same fence can be seen at the bottom left corner. A modest gate leads from a cobblestoned Clifton Hill to a set of steps that rise up the grassy hill towards the Bush Estate mansion looming in the background. By looking at where the Clifton Place mansion was from this view, it can be seen that it stood where the motels are currently (in Jan. 2009) being torn down. I wonder if HOCO construction workers will unearth the foundations of the old mansion? It would be nice to commemorate the exact location of that building.
above: same view, Jan.9, 2009; note the fence-stone at bottom left. The once-idyllic setting is now smack-dab in the heart of the tourist district, and built into the hillside, where the stair path once was, is now a multi-plex of ice-cream shops, burger joints, and amusement games.
above: Looking at the north-face of the Bush Estate Clifton Place mansion as it stood at the top of the hill in 1937. In this view, the Falls are to the left (east). Note the trees seen around the house in 1937; compare this to the Jan.7, 2009 photo earlier above (third photo down from the top) where a mature tree (which has since been cut down) was still growing just about at the site where the house had stood - it's quite probable that this tree had been around in 1937 when the house was still there!above: Bush Estate ca.1900, view of the front (east-face) of Clifton Place; this is the side which faced the Niagara River and the Falls.
*
below: old postcard showing the north-face of the Clifton Place mansion in the distance, and its side lawn in the foreground; it is upon this lawn which all the tourist attractions have since been built along the south side of Clifton Hill, as seen earlier above. In this view, the Falls are to the left. Just out of frame, to the lower right, closer to the road, would be where the 1856-built Zimmerman Clifton Hill gatehouse was located.
!! Click on photos to enlarge !!
above: 1856 map showing Samuel Zimmerman's 52-acre estate on Clifton Hill, a year before Zimmerman was killed.
Note that 'Clifton Street,' as shown on the above map, is today's Victoria Ave.
The L-shaped stables (built by Zimmerman) are marked; the house, which Zimmerman planned to build (designed by a Mr. Upjohn from New York), was not (as of 1856) yet built; it would eventually be completed several years later by U.S. Senator John T. Bush, who bought Zimmerman's estate after Zimmerman's untimely 1857 death.
The estate included the ownership of the first Clifton Hotel. Bush's deal to buy the Zimmerman estate closed on Jan.1, 1865; it was after that date that Bush went on to built his mansion, using the full basement foundations which had already been laid prior to Zimmerman's death.
Interestingly, while the Gatehouses, the pond, and the foundations of their new house were being built, Samuel and his second wife Emmeline were living on the property, in an existing house, which was apparently quite grand, and which was informally known as "Clifton Lodge".
(Interestingly, no images seem to exist of this first house. Did Zimmerman build this first house (aka 'Clifton Lodge') himself, or was it already in existence? If it was already there, who built it? Did it have anything to do with Ogden Creighton's time as owner of those lands?)
I also wonder if Zimmerman had lived in Clifton Lodge, while still with his first wife, Margaret Ann, and the two kids? Or was it built after 1851, after first wife Margaret Ann died??
(And I wonder: when exactly was Clifton Lodge demolished? During Senator Bush's time of ownership?)
Note that there are two smaller square buildings seen close together, marked on the above 1856 map, which also sit near the brow of the hill, but they are shown a bit closer to the road - I wonder if this was the site of  Clifton Lodge and its stable? It would explain why the mansion (though not yet built) is also shown on the 1856 map: because the construction had already started with the gatehouses, stables, and  fountain, so it was the foundation of the intended building which the 1856 map was already showing.
But, after Zimmerman's death, the construction stopped, and the foundations were covered up, laying dormant until after Senator Bush's purchase of the estate. The foundation existed unfinished for the duration of the American Civil War!
Zimmerman's widow Emmeline had looked after the estate until Bush purchased it and completed the mansion. In the meantime, the existing Clifton Lodge must have been grand enough for royalty: Emmeline even leased it for four days to Queen Victoria's son, Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales, when he visited Niagara Falls in 1860!!
The eighteen-year-old Prince "Bertie" (who forty-one years later, in 1901, would become King Edward VII!!) and his selected royal guests stayed in Samuel and Emmeline's home - the Clifton Lodge - from Sept. 14 to Sept. 18, 1860, while the rest of the Prince's entourage stayed across the street, in her hotel, the Clifton House!

{The New York Times reported on that upcoming Royal visit, "PREPARATIONS FOR THE RECEPTION AT NIAGARA", published  on July 25, 1860:

"A correspondent of the Philadelphia Inquirer gives the following account of the preparations of the reception of the Prince at Niagara: 
It is understood that his Royal Highness, the Prince of WALES, will, during his sojourn at the Falls, have his quarters at the mansion formerly the residence of the late SAMUEL ZIMMERMAN, on the Canada side, just in the rear of the Clifton House, which also belongs to the estate of the same family. The Zimmerman homestead has been chartered for the personal use of his Royal Highness, while the cottages attached to the Clifton Hotel have been engaged for his suite and attendants. The house in which the Prince will reside is a substantial dwelling of stone, covered with cement, and stands upon the highest part of a beautiful park of twenty acres, commanding a full view of the Falls and all the neighboring scenery. The grounds are surrounded by a fine hedge of privet, rendered impenetrable by the addition of a strong wire fence on the outside. From the eminence upon which the house is situated, the ground descends toward the Niagara River on the south, first abruptly through a belt of forest trees, and then gradually across a broad, smooth lawn, neatly ornamented with shade trees, and containing a fountain and a great number of gas light posts. In the southeast corner of this park, and also upon the highest point in the grounds, flag-staffs eighty-five feet in height will be erected, from which, during the stay of the Prince, the Royal standard of Britain will float. The flags are manufactured in England for this special purpose. The trees whose tops and foliage intercept the view from the parlors towards the Falls, are to be trimmed so as to afford a full, survey of the cataract. Over the gateway, which constitutes the main entrance to the grounds of the estate proper; and which the Prince must pass upon his walks or rides, a triumphal arch is to be erected, fifteen feet in width and thirty feet high, adorned with representations of forest scenery and American life, and surmounted at the summit by a splendid stuffed deer, in the attitude of flight, with upreared head and lofty antlers. The construction of this beautiful piece of work is confided to the same hands which built the four famous arches at the Campus of May, at Ballatar, at Cloch MacCreigh and at the suspension bridge at Crathie, upon the occasion of the first visit of Her Majesty the Queen to Balmoral. No more competent person could be selected for the task than the man who has been chosen -- ROBINSON, the old superintendent of the garden at Abergeldie, the residence of the Duchess of KENT. 
The work of preparation has already commenced; to-day the hedge is being pruned with unusual care, next week the papering and varnishing of the interior of the mansion will be begun, and every portion of the premises, from the drawing-room to the stable, will be "swept and garnished" for the reception of the high-born boy, who for a few short days will honor the place with his temporary use.}
The red 'X' (in the photo above) shows where Zimmerman's Clifton Hill Gatehouse was located.
Note the other three gatehouses: one is seen at the bottom of the hill, in the Park (at that time the land was still owned by Zimmerman); it would later became the Niagara Parks' first offices.
Another gatehouse is seen on the map near Clifton Street (today's Victoria Ave.) just north of the stables, and another one was at the south end of the property.
Note the fountain (also built by Zimmerman, downhill from the site of his planned house, and still there and in use in 2010) is located in what is today's Victoria Park; in 1856 that was still Zimmerman's private park property, down to the narrow military reserve strip at the edge of the gorge.
Note that Zimmerman also owned the north side of Clifton Hill, from the railroad station on Victoria Ave. (at the top of Clifton Hill) all the way down to the (first) Clifton Hotel, which Zimmerman had bought in 1848. (The first Clifton Hotel was originally built by Hermanus 'Monty' Crysler in 1833; it burned down on Jun.28, 1898) Most of this land surrounding Clifton Hill (known then as the village of Clifton) was bought by Zimmerman from the widow of previous owner Captain Creighton, who had bought these lands in 1832.
above: a 1921 aerial view showing the former Zimmerman/ Bush Clifton Place estate: the mansion is seen in the red circle. Down the hill below the mansion, the fountain is circled in yellow. At the upper left (circled in blue) Zimmerman's original L-shaped stable/carriage house can be clearly seen, and just above it, Zimmerman's Victoria Ave-facing. Gatehouse can be seen. Just to the left of the blue circle, in the extreme upper left of the photo, the Michigan Central tracks are seen. The green line at the far right shows exactly where the Gorge Route streetcar line tracks ran through Victoria Park.
above: another 1921 aerial view of the  former Zimmerman lands. Here, the Clifton Hill roadway is seen in orange, running across the center of the photo. The Bush mansion is seen circled in red, while Zimmerman's Clifton Hill Gatehouse can be seen circled in yellow, and there is a road seen on either side of the Gatehouse. Just to the right (in other words, uphill, to the west) of the Gatehouse is a lane (outlined in light blue) which would become the Clifton Pl. roadway, used to access the future Park Motor Hotel/Comfort Inn site. Looking at this photo, we see that the street we know today as "Clifton Place" was not the main entrance to the Bush mansion; at best it may have been a 'tradesman's' side access, and a direct access to the stables as well. The main entrance to the residence was clearly located at the east side (downhill side) of the Gatehouse.
The darker blue line (near the bottom right) is Oneida Place; this lane ran northward off the Clifton Hill roadway. At the very bottom right corner a bit of the Michigan Central track right of way is seen. At the left bottom, the V-shaped second Clifton House hotel can be seen outlined within the burgundy box. In the extreme bottom left of the burgundy box, the outline of the turreted Lafayette Hotel can be seen.  (After the Clifton Hotel burned down, the Lafayette was also torn down, and thanks to the generosity of Harry Oakes, their lots became the site of the present Oakes Garden Theater park).
Note that, at the west-side of the Clifton House hotel, the street we today know as "Falls Ave." has not been built yet. Also note (circled in green) that the Mowat Gate is still located at River Rd.; the Mowat Gate would in 1936 be moved slightly uphill to mark the new Falls Ave. entrance into Queen Victoria Park. At the far upper left is the site of the Clifton Incline Railway. Also note that there are hardly any motels or other buildings yet built along both sides of Clifton Hill!
*
below: May, 1947 - standing on the east side of Victoria Ave. just west of the railway, looking across the tracks in a north-easterly direction towards the original Zimmerman-built stables of the old Bush Estate - at this time, the stables were already 91 years old!!
The 'L-shaped' stables backed onto the tracks which bordered the west side of the Zimmerman-Bush Estate.
The 'L-shape' of the original Zimmerman stables can be seen on the 1856 map previously above; the L-shape can be seen on the previous 1921 aerial photo; and the L-shape is clearly seen in the 1947 photo below.
The 'L-shaped' stables consisted of two square, taller pavilions, with hip-roofs, which are clearly seen in the 1947 photo below: there was a west-end pavilion closer to Victoria Ave., and another pavilion on the east-end, closer to the Clifton Place lane.
Connecting the two pavilions (also clearly seen in the 1947 photo) was a gable-roofed building; these two pavilions and the connection in-between, running in an east-west axis, created the 'large-leg' of the 'L-shape'.
The smaller leg of the 'L' was formed by another gable-roofed structure which extended off the south-facing wall of the east pavilion - this can also be clearly seen in the below 1947 photo.
Note below that the railroad is seen in the distance splitting into two lines - the track in the distance (on which the boxcars cars are seen) followed the tree line seen in the distance, as it headed off to the upper right; this was the main line, which made its way past the Loretto. The track seen at the bottom of the photo is a spur that led to the old Myer Salit steel yard at the north-west corner of Clark Ave. and Robinson St., where the Old Stone Inn now is.
Note also the building which is seen at the far left (partially behind the boxcars) - this appears to be Zimmerman's old Victoria Ave. Gatehouse. I have not been able to find out when this gatehouse was demolished; but the original stables were demolished during the week of Dec.7-11, 2015.
An additional note:
There was a false perception that only 'a portion' of  Samuel Zimmerman's original 1856-built Clifton Place stable was still standing - but in fact, the entire original L-shaped stable structure was still standing, still in existence, until it was completely demolished in mid-December 2015!!
Zimmerman's original stable structure (as I had pointed out) was eventually surrounded by and swallowed within a maze of subsequent hotel-related additions - but: the original brick walls, footings, roof, windows, and carved stonework, were all there - for an entire 159 years - until Dec. 2015! (...see my photos further below of the revealed stables, taken in Dec.2015)
During Dec. 2015, as the demolition slowly peeled off the hotel additions, the original L-shaped, triple-brick-walled, cut-stone-trimmed Zimmerman carriage house / stable structure was fully revealed, in situ.
As a matter of fact, the stables - as seen in this 1947 photo below - looked exactly the same when they re-appeared in Dec.2015! They had never been torn down; they had only been surrounded and enveloped by the many layers of additions.

above: the same view in Jan.2009, looking in a north-easterly direction; both sets of tracks are now gone, but the old right-of-way of the main line, seen in the foreground running along this side of the fence, still stretches throughout the Niagara Falls tourist district. The Salit spur (which ran at the left) now has a row of shops facing  onto Victoria Ave. built along where it once ran. The same original Zimmerman stables are within the yellow-painted structure behind the trees; the Casino Tower and the Sky Wheel can now be seen in the background. (In Feb.2016, the cutting of the tree row was begun)
-
below: Jan.19, 2009 - looking in a south-easterly direction at the north-west rear corner of the original Zimmerman-built stables, as seen from Victoria Ave. The original stable building is in the centre, with the hip roof and the small round upper windows; this is the original west-end pavilion. There is another pavilion (the east-end pavilion, not visible here) further over to the left, within the surrounding additions of the Comfort Inn hotel.
The old Michigan Central railroad tracks {...whose right of way, incidentally, was the original Erie and Ontario railroad right of way - also built by Samuel Zimmerman!!} were in service until 1999, running alongside the fence in the bottom foreground. Note the Skylon looming in the background upper right, behind the trees.

above: Dec.2, 2015 - here's the same view as in the previous 2009 photo; the buildings, now painted orange with blue trim, are under demolition on the other side. The west pavilion is still today surrounded by the hotel additions - its hip-roof is still seen at the upper right. At the left is where the indoor pool area was, under a large roof with many skylights.
above: Dec.6, 2015 - same view, now the indoor pool area is under demolition, revealing a part of the interior blue wall. Only a small section of the skylight roof girders remains as of this day. At the far left is another wing of the Comfort Inn hotel; the south-facing rooms in this wing fronted directly into the sky-lighted indoor pool area.
above: Dec.7, 2015 - here's the same west pavilion, which was still hidden from view yesterday. Today it was re-exposed for the first time in about 60 years!! The blue wall is now seen partially demolished, showing that there was a large room behind it, and further back, the original brick walls of the west pavilion can be seen again, for the first time in decades. Three half-round windows, with their original cut-stone surrounds, were revealed again.
above: Dec.7, 2015 Photos by R.Bobak. The carriage house stables were being revealed as the hotel additions were demolished. At this moment, the demolition work is occurring at the rear of the west pavilion (at the far right) where other additions are being torn down. The hotel's sky-lighted indoor swimming pool area was at the far left. 
above: Dec.8, 2015 - here's the the same matching view, with the west-pavilion now fully revealed at the right, and the east pavilion fully revealed farther in the distance at the left.
Today, with all the hotel additions having been torn down, the complete original north-facing facade of the 1856-built Zimmerman stables has been fully revealed again, after being hidden for some 60 years!
This rare view - with both pavilions and the middle portion all seen together in the same shot, without obstructions - shows the complete 'east-west axis' of the 'large leg' of the L-shaped stables.
{The 'small-leg' of the L-shaped stable extended southward off the east pavilion's south-wall (in this view, the extension can't be seen, as it runs to the right (southward) off of the far pavilion}
This rare view of the complete facade, in situ, as is documented in my above photo, lasted mere minutes - the center part of the stables, which joined the two pavilions, was soon demolished, as seen below:
above: Dec.8, 2015 - the center part of the north fa├žade, which joined the two pavilions, is gone several minutes later. I can imagine that when the 18 yr.-old Prince of Wales, Edward Albert (...who would become King Edward VII) visited Niagara Falls and stayed at Samuel and Emmeline's home in the summer of 1860, that he would have seen this same visage of the handsome structure, in its bucolic prime! And most likely he would have toured it! No doubt that some of the carriages and horses from this very stable were used to carry the prince and his entourage around town!
 above: same view of where the Zimmerman stable once stood, Jan. 9, 2017. After a year of site construction, it's now difficult ­čśĽ to determine the obliterated building's exact spot: it had stood in the area right behind the truck. Also, the old fence line and all the trees (which were seen in the Jan. 2009 photo earlier above, and also seen in next photo below) along it have been removed. The old fence line ran where the blue line above is seen, curving into the distance, This chain-link fence for years had separated the old hotel property from the railroad track right-of-way (shown by the red line in the foreground). The removal of the fence shows that the construction site now has extended over all of the grassed boulevard once occupied by the former rail ROW, which, until recently, had run parallel to Victoria Ave. (as seen in the photo below). Now, the fence runs right along the city sidewalk, giving the area a decidedly narrowed, crowded feel. 

above: an aerial view of the Comfort Inn hotel complex - the L-shape outlined in yellow shows the original Zimmerman stables, with the west and east pavilions marked. The skylight above the indoor pool room is marked. A red X marks the surrounding 'newer' hotel additions, which were also torn down. The pool section is marked. The blue line shows the direction from which the preceding set of above photos was taken. The purple line shows where the railway had once run, now seen lined by trees and grassed over as a boulevard strip running parallel to Victoria Ave..
-
below: Oct. 1946 - looking in a south-westerly direction at the north-east corner of the original Zimmerman stables, which were said to have cost at that time $48,000!
The hip-roofed east pavilion is seen in the center, and the part of the stables seen extending to the left was the 'small leg of the L-shaped' stables.
The 'large-leg' of the L-shape (the 'east-west axis' leg) is seen at the right, running towards Victoria Ave. in the distance. The east pavilion was therefore the 'corner' of the 'L-shaped' stable site.
(The right-side of the 1946 photo below shows the same north-facing elevation, as does the left-side of the the above 2015 photo - both photos show the same north-fa├žade, but from opposite ends. In other words, the 1946 photo was taken with the east pavilion closer to the camera, while the 2015 photo was taken with the west pavilion closer to the camera.)
Victoria Ave. and the MCR railroad right-of-way are behind the building in this view. Note that when Zimmerman had built this stable in 1856, what we now know as Victoria Ave., was called Clifton St. The side of the stable facing the camera is the east-face of the building {this is the same east-face seen further below in the Jan. 12, 2009 photo, with the two top small round windows to the right of the [new] chimney}
Prior to the planned construction of his new mansion, Zimmerman had already built four gatehouses around his estate, one of which had been on the west side of his lot at Victoria Ave., just north of the stables: the structure barely seen in the far-centre-right of the above photo is possibly that Gatehouse (as was seen from the previous 1921 aerial views).
above: Nov.16, 2015 - here's the exact same matching view - this is the complete east-facing fa├žade of the Zimmerman stables. The yellow circle on the east-pavilion's north-wall shows two stone lintels in the brickwork. Looking back at the exact same area in the 1946 photo, the same stone-trimmed half-round window was visible, as was a large carriage entrance, stone-trimmed with an elliptical top. The openings had been bricked up and painted.
Looking at the east facade, the yellow 'X' marks a later hotel addition which contained bathrooms; looking back at the 1946 full original facade, we can see that the addition covered up two half-round windows, and the associated stone round trim, and the 'watertable' horizontal trim. These were revealed again after the bathroom addition was demolished.
The same 'small-leg of the L-shape' is still seen extending to the left (southward) from the corner pavilion in 2015, as it was seen in 1946.
Note that there is a horizontal foundation line and concrete block rubble seen in the foreground - this is from another hotel wing, which had been just demolished about a week earlier. That part of the hotel had completely blocked the view of the stables, so, this photo of the carriage house is again a new perspective, not seen since the hotel in front had been built decades ago.
-
below: Jan.12, 2009 - looking in a north-westerly direction at the south-east corner of the same Zimmerman-built Bush Estate stables. The former stables have now been incorporated into a maze of hotel buildings and wings, part of the Comfort Inn, and are now used as administrative offices for the hotel complex. The part of the carriage house/stable seen in the middle of the photo (to the left of the chimney) paralleled with Clifton Place lane. The taller hip-roofed building at the right was the old stable's east pavilion. The part of the stable seen here in the centre, which came off the east pavilion's south-wall, made up the 'small-leg' of the 'L-shaped' stable structure.

above: Dec.6, 2015 - this is the same matching view of the Zimmerman east pavilion - the same chimney is seen at the right in both above photos. The 'small-leg' of the stable is now seen freshly demolished at the left side of the photo. The outline of where its gable roof had joined the east pavilion's south-wall, is now clearly revealed.
As the HOCO Comfort Inn complex was being torn down, the hidden shell of the original stables was revealed again. The broken curved stone pieces seen piled up at the bottom are the curved cut stone lintels which had outlined the windows on the stable's east-side. The stone work, bricks, and massive hewn beams, were all demolished. This building survived here at Niagara for an astounding 159 years - 1856 to 2015.
This was a real piece of pre-Confederation architectural history in Niagara Falls, Ontario - it should have been worth saving. (...cue the sound of crickets...)
-
below: Dec. 9, 2015 - same view as above: now the east pavilion is almost knocked down; we can see (inside the red circle at the far right) that there were two stone-trimmed half-round windows hidden within the now-demolished bathroom addition, as was mentioned earlier.
above: Dec.10, 2015 (seen early in the day) - same view as above; the east pavilion was demolished late in the day on Dec.9th. The base where the chimney had stood is still seen at the centre-right. Newly revealed from this angle of view, seen at the far left, is the still-partially-standing hip-roofed west pavilion, near Victoria Ave. (Note that this west pavilion, seen still seen standing in the morning on Dec.10, was fully demolished later in the day - see below)
Note (at the upper left) that the connecting gabled stable building along the 'long-leg axis' has also been demolished. There is an outline (clearly seen on the east-wall of the west pavilion) which shows where the gable roof of that connecting building on the 'long-leg axis' had joined onto the west pavilion's east-wall.
below: Dec.10, 2015 (later in the day), same view - at the far left, the west pavilion (which was still standing earlier today) has now been demolished. For the first time in 159 years, Victoria Ave. (which ran behind the stables) is visible again (in the left distance) from this viewpoint.

below:  Samuel Zimmerman had actually been originally buried in a mausoleum somewhere on his estate (exactly where, I have not been able to determine. It might have been in the vicinity of his reflecting pool, down in what later became part of Victoria Park. Or it was further up the hill. There seems to be no literature on the actual location of the mausoleum; nor on the timing of when and why Zimmerman's body was later moved. The timing may have been due to the eventual sale of the estate by Emmeline to the Bush family; or, due to the conversion of Zimmerman's private property below the hill (under Bush ownership in the 1880's) to a public park, now known as Queen Victoria park.)
Zimmerman was later buried at the St. David's Methodist Church cemetery.
above: as seen on Mar.17, 2009 - the tall rectangular tombstone at centre is where Samuel Zimmerman and his first wife are buried, by the Methodist Church in St. David's.
*
below: Mar.17, 2009; on its west side, the tombstone reads:

"SAMUEL ZIMMERMAN, Born Huntingdon PA 1815, Contractor and Banker, Benefactor of the Town of Clifton, killed at DES JARDINS CANAL C.W. Mar.12, 1857".

(C.W. stood for Canada West, as this part of the jurisdiction we now call "Ontario" was known, after the times of Upper Canada and prior to Confederation) The month and day of his birth are not on the stone; but, he was born on Mar.17, 1815, the fifth son in a family of seven sons and one daughter.

In 1842, at the age of 27, Samuel Zimmerman arrived in Canada, earning a fortune in the construction business as a contractor on the Second Welland Canal; he then became a railroad builder, bringing the Great Western Railroad  (which eventually became CN Rail) to Niagara from Hamilton Ont. Construction of this rail line - which is still in use today by CN - began in 1851 and it was opened to Niagara by Nov.1853, ending at the Suspension Bridge. Zimmerman was also involved in the construction of the double-deck Suspension Bridge (designed by engineer John Augustus Roebling) which opened in 1855 and was the first rail connection here between Canada and the U.S.

In 1854 Zimmerman bought the Erie and Ontario, which had been the first railroad in Upper Canada, and which was built in the period 1831 to 1841, operating as a seasonal horse-drawn railroad. He rebuilt the line, converting it to steam locomotion, and built a new extension north from Queenston into Niagara On The Lake. Zimmerman also had a steamboat [the "Samuel Zimmerman"] which carried freight and passengers from Toronto to Queenston and NOTL, from where they could take his trains to Niagara Falls or to the States - talk about transit integration!

Just above the cemetery where the Zimmermans are buried, there still is a long-abandoned right-of-way running along the Escarpment of one of the railway lines that Zimmerman had once owned, the Erie and Ontario (a predecessor of the New York Central/ Michigan Central) which went from Queenston (and later from Niagara On The Lake) to Niagara Falls, and later, to Fort Erie.
Samuel Zimmerman is buried with his first wife Margaret Ann; they were married on Aug.15, 1848 and had two sons. At the time of Samuel's death in 1857, his son John was 8 yrs. old, and son Richard was 6 yrs. old. Margaret Ann had died earlier, in 1851, at the young age of 23; I have not been able to find out the cause of her death - was it related to the childbirth of the second son Richard? The timing seems possible.
 By the way: there are some ridiculous claims being made that there is no mention of Samuel Zimmerman's name on his headstone at his grave; that it is 'unmarked': what, then, is the photo above??!? It clearly shows Samuel's name.

above: as seen Mar.17, 2009 - on the east side of the same above tombstone, is this description:

        " MARGARET ANN
          WIFE OF
           SAML ZIMMERMAN
           & DAUGHTER OF
           RICHARD & ANN
           WOODRUFF
           DIED
           APRIL 24, 1851
           AGED 23 YEARS "
*
Interestingly, Margaret Ann's father, Richard Woodruff (b.1784 - d.1872; known as the founder of the village of St.David's), had bought the National Hotel in 1833 from Hermanus Crysler, who had built it in 1827. [It was later known as the Prospect Hotel and as Ward's Hotel, located on Main St. in Niagara Falls, Ontario [on the site of today's Mints bar]. During the 1837 Rebellion, government troops stayed at the hotel, which was used as a barracks.]
And oddly enough, in 1848, the same year that they were married, Margaret Ann's husband Samuel bought the original Clifton Hotel from Hermanus Crysler, who had built it fifteen years earlier, in 1833.
Richard Woodruff and his wife Ann Clement Woodruff  had 8 children: 6 sons and 2 daughters. One of Margaret Ann's brothers was Joseph C. Woodruff (1808-1889); another brother was William Henry Woodruff (1814-1897).
*
It was on Dec.16, 1856 that Samuel Zimmerman married his second wife, Emmeline Catherine Dunn of Maskinonge, District of Three Rivers, L.C. {then known as "Lower Canada", now Quebec}
Her parents were Charles Dunn and Mary Hibbard.
Emmeline was one of 14 - that's right: fourteen!!! - children, but I have not been able to find her birth date. One of her brothers was the prominent lumber merchant Timothy Hibbard Dunn b.1816-d.1898)

 Less than three months after Samuel Zimmerman and Emmeline were married, Samuel was killed on Mar.12, 1857 in the Desjardins Canal train accident at Hamilton, Ontario. Zimmerman was killed five days before what would have been his 42nd birthday. It is said that Zimmerman was most likely the wealthiest man in Canada at the time.
above: photo of Samuel Zimmerman: banker; contractor of canals, bridges and railways; and one of the founders of Niagara Falls, Ontario. Samuel Zimmerman's funeral, with Masonic honours, was held on Mar.16, 1857 - exactly three months after his second marriage.

So: what became of Samuel Zimmerman's second wife, Emmeline Zimmerman [nee Dunn]?
And, what then became of Samuel and Margaret Ann's two young sons?
Samuel apparently had two younger brothers in Ontario at that time - Martin and James; did they end up adopting the boys?
More likely, Samuel Zimmerman's tragically-widowed second wife, Emmeline, took care of them. On Oct.29, 1863, six years after Samuel's passing, she remarried (in York, now Toronto), to John D. Sherwood, a New York lawyer, and they lived together for 28 years. He was born Nov.24, 1818, and died Apr.30, 1891, at the age of 73, leaving Emmeline a widow again.
An obituary read that Emmeline survived John D. Sherwood "with four children" - but it was not clear whether these were their children, or children from previous marriages.

Two of those four children must have (may have??) been Samuel's boys (John and Richard) whom Emmeline and John D. had looked after as step-parents; and the two other children mentioned may have been theirs together, or, the other two children may have been his, from an earlier marriage, perhaps? It would be interesting to find out. 
Update: I learned from marriage records that when Emmeline Zimmerman and John D. Sherwood were married, she was described as a widow, and he, as a bachelor - so, then, he did not have previous children. Also found out that John D. Sherwood's middle name was "Diddell", and that they were married in Toronto by the Rev. H.J. Grasett, rector at St. James Cathedral.
I picked up a lead on one of the four children:
a girl named Maude Sherwood was born on Jun.6, 1873 (pos.1874?) in Englewood Cliffs N.J. - and she definitely was the daughter of John D.Sherwood and Emmeline (sometimes spelled 'Emmaline') Catherine Zimmerman Sherwood! 
Maude Sherwood became a well known sculptress; by 1895 she was married to stockbroker Edward Hull Jewett (b. Feb.4, 1860 in Brooklyn, N.Y.), and they had two children: John Howard Jewett (b. Feb.21, 1902 - d. Sept. 25, 1986; and Edward Hull Jewett Jr. (b. Oct.11, 1898 - d. July 8, 1981) 
Maude kept her studio in New York City from 1910 to 1930. In 1912 Maude and husband Edward Hull Jewett bought an oceanside summer cottage at East Hampton, N.Y., which they called 'Inkpot'. Maude Sherwood died in April 1953; I have yet to find when Maude's mother, Emmeline passed away (or when she was born...)

Update:
I found that Emmeline  and John D, Sherwood DID have another child, and so Maude did have an older brother: he was John Howard Sherwood, born Sept, 1, 1869, so he was just under 4 yrs old when Maude was born.
He died of heart complications on Jan.25, 1915, at only 45 yrs of age.  
It was reported that at the time of his death, he was living in Englewood NJ at his mother's house. So, I wonder: was his mother Emmeline still alive in 1915???! Could that be possible? 
Or did they mean he was living in the house which his late mother had perhaps left to him in a will? 
The home of Emmeline and John D. Sherwood in Englewood Cliffs was apparently called "Stone Cottage", and was supposedly designed by John D. Sherwood, Was this the house where Emmeline's own son came to die?
But  I can find no reference of this house in  Englewood's interesting 19th century history! Where in Englewood was this house, the home of the Sherwoods???! I searched the Jewett family records and found no earlier references to Emmeline (who was in fact John Howard Jewett's and Edward Hull Jewett Jr.'s grandmother, by way of  her daughter Maude Sherwood's marriage to Edward Hull Jewett (Sr.)

Also, I found an interesting notice in the social pages of  the East Hampton Star, Aug.31, 1950, which announced the engagement of a Miss Suzanne Macdonald Barnes to an Edward Hull Jewett III, who was a son of Edward Hull Jewett Jr.
What's interesting is that this notice stated that Edward Hull Jewett III "is the grandson of Mrs. Edward Hull Jewett of East Hampton, and the late Mr. Jewett"
What they didn't specifically say was that this grandmother, whom they referred to as "Mrs. Edward Hull Jewett", was actually Maude Sherwood!! {...Edward Hull Jewett III was Edward Hull Jr.'s son, and Edward Hull Jr. was Maude Sherwood's son  - which means that Maude Sherwood {aka "Mrs. Edward Hull Jewett"} was EH Jewett 3rd's grandmother, and which also means that Emmeline Sherwood was Edward Hull Jewett 3rd's great-grandmother!}
Seeing as Maude Sherwood was still alive in 1950, when EH Jewett 3rd and Susan Barnes were married, I wonder if the grandmother of the groom attended their wedding? Also, I have not been able to find Maude's husband  Edward Hull Jewett's date of death. This 1950 article mentions him as being late; but when did he pass away? 
{Another sidebar: for some strange reason (it must be a mistake) an edition of the East Hampton Star (July 2, 1998) reported that Edward Hull Jewett's wife Maude, was born in 1874 as "Maude Dunn"!! But: Maude was a Sherman: she was Emmeline and John D. Sherwood's daughter - - so how could she have been born with the surname "Dunn"??! Dunn was her mother Emmeline's maiden name, from before she married Samuel Zimmerman!}

Another sidebar:
I have not been able to find out Emmeline Dunn's birth date! We know she married Samuel Zimmerman in Dec.1856 - but how old was she at the time? (Samuel was 41!!!)
Let's say, for example, that she was oh... 20 yrs old when she married Samuel; so let us assume she had been born in 1836 - - - this would mean that in 1915, she would have been only about 79 years old - so it is quite feasible that she could still have been alive. Under this assumption, if she was born in 1836, it would mean that when she had her first child (John Howard Sherwood) in 1869, she would have been only about 33 - definitely still in child-bearing age. {Even if she was, say, 30 yrs. old in 1856 - then she would have been 89 in 1915 - again; could be possible - - - though this would mean that Emmeline  would have had her first child at a rather-late 43, and her second child, Maude, at around 47 yrs. of age... these things remain a mystery for now...}
If Emmeline was indeed an elderly widow still living in 1915, and her son John Howard Sherwood had come home to die in her house, that would have truly been a most tragic shock for her. Her son John Howard Sherwood had never married and had no children, and so Emmeline's blood line continued only through her daughter Maude's children.

Samuel and Margaret Ann's eldest son, John Zimmerman, went on to marry Victoria Jane Henry on Apr.24, 1872; he was 23 years old, she was 21.
The younger son, Richard Zimmerman, went on to marry Emma Jane Rogers on Apr.18, 1887; he was then 36 years old, she was 21. At the time, Richard was a physician in Niagara Falls.

It looks like the above mentioned "4" children were the two kids Emmeline became step-mother to (Samuel Zimmerman's two boys, John and Richard) and the two children Emmeline would have with John D. Sherwood (John Howard and Maude) 
Seeing that Emmeline and John D. had made their life in Englewood, I wonder then - were Zimmerman's boys actually living with them in Englewood at any point? Were they educated in New York State?  New Jersey? Ontario? Or were they cast alone after Emmeline married John D. in 1863?
Samuel's son John would have been only 14, and son Richard would have been about 12, when Emmeline married John D, Sherwood. So I wonder about the details of these two boy's lives after their father died in 1857, and then after Emmeline remarried in 1863.
Samuel's son John was married in 1872, when he 23. What was his life before that? Samuel's son Richard (the doctor) married in 1887, when he was 36 - what was his life before that? What were their relationships with their step-mother, and their step-father John D., as well as with their younger step-brother and step-sister, over the years?? 
An interesting mystery...
*
below: illustration of the Desjardin Canal train accident in which Samuel Zimmerman was killed, from the London Illustrated news, Apr.4, 1857. The same railroad right-of-way is still there today, and is now the CN main line from the U.S.A., through Niagara Falls, to Toronto. The suspension bridge, which is seen in the distance behind the collapsed railroad bridge, is now the site a steel arch bridge, which carries York Blvd.,connecting the cities of Hamilton and Burlington, Ont.
This drawing looks westward into Coote's Paradise and the Dundas Valley in the distance.
above: After a business meeting in Toronto on Mar.12, 1857, Zimmerman boarded the 5:00 pm train to get back home to Niagara. The train was travelling on the Great Western Railroad's tracks when apparently - due to a broken wheel axle - it jumped the tracks just as it was approaching the canal bridge. The derailed train hit the bridge, which then collapsed, sending the entire consist - the locomotive [named the "Oxford", built in Schenectady, N.Y.], the tender, the baggage-car, and two passenger cars - into the frozen canal below. Out of ninety passengers, sixty were killed.

Samuel Zimmerman was in the prime of his life, almost 42, and had just recently re-married; I wonder what further accomplishments he would have made in the railroad business and his other ventures. There is no doubt that Zimmerman would have become even more of a leading player in the massive railroad industry expansions and consolidations that were just on the horizon.

Another human-interest-sidebar to the Desjardin Canal train wreck story is that there were two prominent persons from Niagara, who both knew Samuel Zimmerman very well, who were on the same train with him, and who survived the wreck: they were Thomas Clark Street of Niagara Falls, and Dr. Thomas Clark Macklem, of Chippawa.

Thomas C. Street (born Apr.5, 1814) had been elected in 1851 for his first term as a (pre-Confederation) Member of the Legislative Assembly (Canada West) for Welland County. At the time of the 1857 train wreck, he was not, though, a sitting MP, having had lost the election in 1854. However, T.C. Street ran again and won in 1861, and was re-elected in 1863, serving as Welland County MP until the day he died, Sept.6, 1872. T.C. Street never married.

Thomas Clark Macklem M.D. (born Sept.19, 1817, the 5th son of James and Lydia Macklem) had married widow Caroline Cummings (nee Street) on Mar.6, 1851.
After the Desjardins disaster, Dr. T.C. Macklem did not fully recover from his injuries, and died in Magnolia, East Florida, Dec.11, 1859.

Miss Caroline Street (born Aug.5, 1825 - d. Apr.11 (or Mar.11?) 1908) was a younger sister of the above-mentioned Thomas C. Street; they were children of Samuel Street Jr. of Niagara Falls (who was born Mar.14, 1775, died Aug.21, 1844; and whose father was Nehemiah Street); therefore, Dr. T.C. Macklem was T.C Street's brother-in-law.
This was Caroline Street's second marriage:
 - she had first been married (on Nov.17, 1847) to James Henry Cummings (b. July 25, 1820 - d. Apr.11, 1848), they had no children, and she became a widow;
 - then she married T.C. Macklem (they had four children, but again she became a widow);
 - then on Nov.20, 1862, she married Rev. William Henry Caldwell Robertson, and yet again was widowed. (Rev. W.H.C. Robertson, of Stamford, had been the first rector at St. Luke's Parish in Darien, Connecticut, from 1854 to 1859).
 - and lastly, on July 30 [or Aug.20?], 1874 she married Henry Corry Rowley Becher, Q.C. (a London, Ontario lawyer, who died Jul.5, 1885), and was left widowed a fourth time. Caroline died in the Toronto area in 1908.
Caroline's children with Thomas Clark Macklem were:
- first son James Cummings Macklem (who was born May 7, 1852, and who must have been named in memory of her first husband) This son tragically died May 2, 1860 as a young boy, drowning in the Niagara River at the foot of the Macklem mansion "Clark Hill" (which later became the site of the "Oak Hall" mansion of Harry Oakes fame, and now the head-office of the Niagara Parks Commission).
- second son was Sutherland Macklem
- daughters were Caroline and Elizabeth

It was Dr. T.C. Macklem's brother Oliver Tiffany Macklem (who was married to Julia Anne Street (born Jan.11, 1819 - d. May 18, 1879), who was Caroline Street's older sister [and another of  T.C. Street's younger sisters!!] who ran the family's Macklem Foundry in Chippawa, and who had built Samuel Zimmerman's steamship the 'Zimmerman', which was launched May 6, 1854.

It was T.C. Street's father, Samuel Street, who, along with Thomas Clark, founded Ontario's first railroad, the Erie and Ontario, in 1835 - the same railroad which Samuel Zimmerman would buy and convert to steam power, nearly 20 years later.

It was T.C Street who became treasurer of the Erie and Ontario railroad, and who was also one of the incorporators of the Niagara Suspension Bridge (an engineering feat designed by Augustus Roebling in 1851) which was the first ever bridge to carry a railway over the Niagara River, between Canada and the United States. Samuel Zimmerman was the contractor on that bridge, and was also the contractor who had built the railway line to the bridge, from Hamilton (still a CN mainline!)
below: as seen Feb.12, 1928 - another of the original four Zimmerman gatehouses was this one, located downhill in what was then Queen Victoria Park; when it was built in 1856, this gatehouse was on the lower-level of Zimmerman's lot, facing Niagara Falls! It had also served as the original headquarters of the Niagara Parks Commission, and was demolished in 1928.
below: Built by Samuel Zimmerman in 1856 (a year prior to his sudden death in 1857) this gatehouse (standing on the lands upon which Zimmerman was planning to also build his new home, until he was killed in (ironically) a railway accident over the Desjardins Canal in Hamilton Ont.) was located on the south side of Clifton Hill (near today's Clifton Place lane).
Clifton Place was the road/driveway which led south off Clifton Hill onto the Bush / former Zimmerman Estate. This below gatehouse was one of four gatehouses which had been built by Zimmerman around his property, and was the last to be demolished, in 1965. It was at one point the office for Oakes' Welland Securities. Photo below is from 1965, the year of its demolition. What a neat building and location! Note modern buildings and lights in background; that is most probably the old Fallsway / Quality Inn buildings. A double-decker bus is seen at the far left. Clifton Pl. lane would be just to the right in the photo below, just out of frame.

below: same angle of view as above, looking in a south-easterly direction down Clifton Hill. Zimmerman's Clifton Hill Gatehouse is clearly seen, marked with the red X, just behind the Park Motor Hotel sign. This was its original location, set slightly back from the road, with a little bit of lawn in front.
The signs for the Quality Inn and Fallsway hotels are seen further down the street. The Clifton Place access road is marked in blue at the bottom right. Note the pylon sign for the Park Motor Hotel also advertises for the Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum, as well as for the "Queen's Door Dining and Dancing" lounge, which was for a while was quite the local hotel hotspot. The Park Motor Hotel later became today's Comfort Inn. 
It's hard to tell what the Gatehouse was being used for, during this time. Photo date not known, possibly late 1950's - early 60's. This Gatehouse was the last one remaining, of the four which Zimmerman had built in 1856; it was demolished in Nov. 1965.   
above: same view, Feb. 2014 - the Clifton Place roadway is marked with a blue arrow at bottom right; the red arrow shows approximately where the Clifton Hill Gatehouse once stood.

There had been another access road which served as the entrance to the Quality Inn / Fallsway buildings, farther down Clifton Hill (where the hotel signs were, as seen in the previous photo). This road was closed when the Sky Wheel and its plaza were built (see satellite shots further below). This access road went south off Clifton Hill from about where the grey kiosk sits in the plaza in the centre of the above shot. It was along here, where the Tim Hortons now stands at the right, amidst all the stores and food joints, that the Bush Estate's Zimmerman-built gatehouse had once stood on Clifton Hill, until being demolished in Nov. 1965.

above: Jan.12, 2009 - looking south across Clifton Hill, at the road now called Clifton Place. This is now the main road into the HOCO lands. The Quality Inn buildings (under demolition at this time) were located in the rear left, behind the Skywheel. The Comfort Inn buildings (former Park Motor Hotel) are in back, to the right. (note the Hilton hotel in the far center distance, still under construction). The last of Zimmerman's original four gatehouses had stood just to the left, out of frame, of the above shot.
-
below: photo taken in 1937, both buildings of the Bush estate are seen in the same photo, showing the proximity of the Zimmerman-built Clifton Hill Gatehouse (seen at the right, facing onto the south-side of a cobble-stoned Clifton Hill) to Senator Bush's Clifton Place mansion (seen in the left distance).
It's all but a distant memory now. The road known today as Clifton Pl. would be slightly to the right of the gatehouse, out of frame, in the below photo.
above: Dec. 2015 - this is the same matching view of where the Clifton Hill Gatehouse had once stood, at the right. The mansion would have been in the far left distance, behind the Sky Wheel.
*
below: here is a closer view of the same Zimmerman Clifton Hill Gatehouse, its little front lawn paved over, now relegated to serving as a snack bar, with souvenirs and fireworks on the menu! In the far right distance behind the trees, the Park Motor Hotel (today's Comfort Inn) can be seen.
This entire Comfort Inn complex was closed permanently in Oct. 2015, and the buildings were completely demolished during Nov. - Dec. 2015.
[The library's info with this below photo, oddly states the date as being Sept.5, 1968, yet the gatehouse was torn down in Nov. 1965, so there is a discrepancy here]

above: this is the same view in the summer of 2010, of the site where Zimmerman's Clifton Hill Gatehouse had once stood.
*
An interesting historical sidebar to these Clifton Hill Gatehouse photos is a story found at this site about the Robert Combe family, which tells of how Thomas Combe came to Canada from Scotland in 1891, and ended up working at the Bush Estate while living in the Clifton Hill Gatehouse (!!):

"...Thomas, the seventh member of the family of Robert and Christina (Watt) Combe was born on 24 May 1867 in Yester Mains, Gifford. In later years a photograph hung in the kitchen of Thomas’s home in Niagara Falls that seemed to have recorded an important event in his life. It appears to have been taken in 1887 during the celebrations for Queen Victoria’s 50th anniversary and shows him beside a wagon. Everyone in the picture is dressed in holiday fashion as though ready for a parade. The sign on the wagon indicates that James Dixon of Spittal and Berwick, Manufacturers of Manure owned it.

Before leaving for Canada Thomas lived with his parents at Steps of Grace, in Northumberlandshire, overlooking the North Sea, and the diary notes he kept suggest some nostalgia as he recorded the name of this home farm. These notes also refer to working as a manager on another farm in Scotland. A post card in his collection is of a cottage and Lovers’ Walk on the estate of the Warrander family in Dunbar suggesting that this was where he was working. A large oil painting of the same cottage belonged to his brother Robert Combe indicating that both of the brothers were perhaps connected to this estate. A granddaughter of Robert Combe believed that this cottage was the Dunbar childhood home of their grandmother, Jane (Goodall) Lawson.

Thomas was already in Canada by the fall of 1891. The diary includes the directions to his brother, Robert’s place “in Homer”, a village in Grantham Township near St. Catharines and just east of the Welland Canal. His obituary stated that he had lived in St. Catharines for a time. By 1892 he had moved to Niagara Falls.

Thomas appears to have worked first at occasional jobs but on 26 December 1891 he was able to make a bank deposit of $94.31. In June of the following year he began to work for the Streetcar Company in Niagara Falls. By the 7th of September of that year he was employed on the Bush Estate. This large estate was created by Samuel Zimmermann on the escarpment overlooking the falls near Clifton Hill and was known as the Bush Estate, named for the American senator who had lived there for a considerable time. The Fallsway Motel now occupies part of this property. This location seems to have been the focus of continuous work from 1891 until his retirement about 1924. We know that in 1905 the family was living on the Bush Estate in the gatehouse that faced Clifton Hill. This building became the offices of Welland Securities, the company that held all the land holdings of Sir Harry Oakes until the 1960’s. Thomas probably lived there continuously until he retired.

On 8 February 1893, Thomas Combe married Isabella Lawson in the Presbyterian Church in St. Davids, Ontario. She was born on 3 February 1863, the daughter of William Lawson (28 February 1831-21 September 1900) and Agnes Goodall (30 June 1840-4 July 1918). The Lawson family farm was east of St. Davids at the corner of Concession Two and York Road. William Lawson had been born in Longside, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire. He had chosen to settle near other Scottish families in Lincoln County and in 1858 had married Agnes, the daughter of John and Sarah (Anderson) Goodall.

On 14 July 1893, Thomas Combe was doing some work for the company of Histrop and Thomas and by the end of the month was able to rent a cottage from a Mrs. Thomas. It is interesting to note that he also paid $4 in annual dues to the “Sons of Scotland.”

On 20 Nov. 1893, he noted that his house at 78 Buckley Avenue in Niagara Falls was being built, and by 6 January 1894 that Mr. Lundy was doing the plastering. On 2 March 1894 a four-year mortgage was drawn up for $700 at 6% and Thomas and Isabella moved in on 27 March 1894. The cost for the lot was $350, insurance $8, builders risk $2.40, house $735.50, lawyer $10, coal $6, paint 75¢ for a total cost of $1,413.51. The mortgage was paid off by March 1902.

Meanwhile he received word that his father Robert Combe had died on 14 Jan. 1902 at the age of 66. Now free of debt himself, Thomas decided to make a trip to Berwickshire and seems to have spent the winter of 1905-6 there. His mother lived until the age of 80 and died on 10 August in 1913.

In May 1909 Thomas was able to put all the “conveniences” in the Buckley Street house at a cost of $175. This house appears to have served as a rental property until 16 May 1921, when he sold it for $3,000.

On 14 September 1910, he bought lots #117 and #118 on McGrail Avenue for $450. The contract price for building three houses was $4,100. Other costs included the wiring $82, change in sewer lines $13.50 and furnace pipes $75. By Oct. 1911 the three houses were totally paid for. On 19 Augist 1919 he bought a house on Lot 87, #15 (later 437) John Street in Niagara Falls for which he paid $3,300 in cash. This served as their home after his retirement in 1924.

Prior to leaving Scotland, Thomas appears to have been in somewhat of a managerial position on a large estate. This allowed him to move easily into a similar position on the Bush estate, with apparent responsibility for the grounds and stables. The fact that a house was provided as a part of the position as well as through his careful management of his finances he was able to build a number of rental properties which served to provide income for his retirement years.

The children of Thomas and Isabella (Lawson) Combe were William and Christina. Isabella died on 21 December 1941 and at that time Thomas bought six cemetery plots for $60. He died on 7 March 1944. They were both interred in Fairview Cemetery in Niagara Falls Canada.

Thomas was an excellent gardener and had prizewinning rhubarb. His secret was that he laboriously carried soapy wash water to pour over the plants. He had one idiosyncrasy. He loved to win at games and was more than a little distressed if he lost at bridge or euchre..."

*
below: satellite view of the former Zimmerman/Bush estate lands. As mentioned earlier, note that in this photo there is a road near the bottom-right that leads in (southward) from Clifton Hill; this is Clifton Pl. which goes to the Comfort Inn. Note a bit more to the left, in the bottom-center, there is another road leading in; this was the access lane to the Quality Inn (old Fallsway) site seen in the rear; this access was sealed up when a restaurant building (lastly a Golden Griddle, seen in the centre-right) was demolished, and the Sky Wheel plaza took its place.

Also note that in this view, the Space Spiral Tower is still visible, seen in the round cut-out of the building at the centre-left (the newer building had been built around the existing ride). The Space Spiral was an observation ride that carried passengers up in a spiraling round pod (seen about halfway up the shaft) to view the falls; built in 1967, it was taken down in Nov.2006.
The red X marks about where Zimmerman's Clifton Hill Gatehouse once stood.
above: same view; now, the Space Spiral Tower is seen being dismantled by a large crane; the restaurant has also been torn down, and the access road closed off, becoming a pedestrian plaza for the newly-built Sky Wheel. The original Park Motor Hotel (built in the mid-1950's; fully demolished in Nov. 2015) is fully seen at the bottom right in the above and the below photos, built in an angled wide V-shape.
above: same view: now, the Space Spiral Tower has been completely removed; a fudge shop has since been built into the circular area where the ride had been.
Note that at the top of each of the above three shots, you can still see Zimmerman's original glistening fountain pool, located down the hill in Victoria Park.
Note also that all those angled, interconnected motel buildings seen at the upper right of the above three shots were the numerous Quality Inn (formerly Fallsway) structures which were demolished during the winter of 2008-2009.
Note also the red 'X' in each of the last three above shots: this is about where Zimmerman's Clifton Hill gatehouse had stood.
*
below: a view of the Sky Wheel, taken by R. Bobak in the spring of 2006, as it was under construction. Note that the ride's 42 gondola cars have not yet been installed onto the 175-foot Sky Wheel; note ticket booth still under construction; note that the white shaft of the Space Spiral Tower (which would be demolished in Nov.2006) is still visible in the center distance, in front of the old-Oneida/ now-Casino Tower.
below: In Mar.2009 I spoke with workers on the Quality Inn demolition site, who said that they did find the thick stone footings of the Clifton Place mansion, encountering them while laying new sewers on the site. As for any official acknowledgement of the find, I haven't heard anything, but the mansion's footprint, once under the Fallsway / Quality Inn's recently-demolished maze of buildings, will now be underneath a new 'dinosaur-themed' mini putt to be built on the site just behind the Sky Wheel.
In the left distance (see arrow) is a chunk of the footing from the old Bush mansion, which was removed from the site. This rock and dirt was sorted and reused as fill on the site.
above: Mar.2009 - a closer view of a chunk of the footing (laying upside down) which was made of  cement filled with rubble stone. When Senator John T. Bush finished building Clifton Place after Zimmerman's 1857 death, he built the mansion on footings which had already been installed by Zimmerman, possibly in 1856. This footing remnant seen here dates back to Zimmerman's time.
above: looking at this undated (pos.1960's-70's) view, most likely taken from the Oneida/Kodak tower, Zimmerman's Clifton Hill Gatehouse had once stood where the building at the lower-left is (this is where the Tim Horton's seen above now is); behind it, going off to the left, is Clifton Pl., and in the far-centre-left is the angled wide-V shaped Park Motor Hotel (today's Comfort Inn building). Before the Park Motor Hotel was built, this had been the site of the Clifton Tourist Camp, seen further below. Also note the paved parking lot area in front of the Park Motor Hotel then; this area later became the site of the Dinosaur Mini Putt, which was torn down in Mar.-Apr. 2011. A new dinosaur-themed mini-putt will open this season just across the street, on the east side of Clifton Pl., where the Bush mansion/later Quality Inn had once stood. The access road to the Quality Inn buildings is seen at the extreme lower left - the round Quality Inn street sign is also seen there.
*
below: ca.1920's - looking in a south-westerly direction up along Clifton Hill at the Clifton Tourist Camp operating on the grounds of the Bush Estate. The Zimmerman-built stables are clearly seen in the upper left; Victoria Ave. and the Michigan Central Railroad ran along the top. In the centre top distance is the roof of the old Niagara Falls Arena which faced directly onto Victoria Ave., where the Imperial Hotel now stands.

above: a colour postcard view of the same site. The entrance way to the camp (at the left) would be about where the Clifton Pl. road is today. At this time, the Zimmerman-built Clifton Hill Gatehouse would have still been standing, just out of frame at the far bottom left, along Clifton Hill. Also, it appears that another one of the four original Zimmerman-built gatehouses is seen in both above two photos: this would be the Victoria Ave.-facing gatehouse, and is seen in the coloured photo in the upper-centre-left, where the two small red roofs are. A little farther to the left of those two red roofs, is another building with a larger hip roof - this was unmistakably one of the pavilions of the original Zimmerman stables. It is also seen in the previous 1920's photo.
above: seen on a cold, snowy Jan.28, 2010, this is the exact same view as above, of where the Clifton Tourist Camp once was! Clifton Pl. is the road going in at the centre-left
above: satellite view of the same site; the tourist camp, between Clifton Pl. and Victoria Ave., became the site of the Park Motor Hotel/today's Comfort Inn. Note the Zimmerman stables seen at the upper left, now incorporated into the Comfort Inn; note the Michigan Central track right of way which ran along the west side of  Zimmerman's property; note the Quality Inn buildings (at the far center left) can still be seen; they were all demolished in late 2008-early 2009; note that the Space Spiral Tower is seen being dismantled by a large crane, making this view as being from around Nov.2006.  The red X marks where Zimmerman's Clifton Hill Gatehouse once stood. (click photos to enlarge!)
*
The old photos in this study are from the Niagara Falls, Ont. Library Historical Digital Archives; the recent ones are by R. Bobak.
*
Thank you very much for visiting Right In Niagara!
And - if you have ANY old photos of Niagara Falls - say even pre - 1980's - which you would like to share, please contact me! Interested in any motel / hotel shots, post cards, restaurants, touristy shops/attractions, local businesses, buildings, street views... etc.!
*